Welcome to Ames, Iowa and the Iowa State University campus!
Maps & Directions
Visitor Parking – Iowa State University Campus
Participants in the STB Short Course are not exempt from campus parking regulations. If you are planning to park on campus during the Short Course, you will be emailed a free visitor permit to be used in the General Staff campus parking lots.
Approximately one week before the beginning of the Short Course, a visitor parking permit will be emailed to you to print and place in your vehicle. Visitor parking permits are valid only when placed in the drivers side of the front windshield facing forward. Permit is granted to the person registered for the Short Course and is not transferable to any other person or vehicle.
- Visitor permits are only valid for the days printed on the permit.
- Visitor permits are only valid in General Staff lots – Map. (Suggested lots for the STB Short Course: #41, 79, 68)
- Not valid in red reserve lots/spaces or in RH Staff lots.
Pay for Parking
Pay for parking is also an option on the Iowa State University campus.
- Pay for parking can be located at the Memorial Union Parking Ramp. Entrances are from the south off of Lincoln Way and from the North off of Union Drive.
- There are also three main lots on campus that are pay-by-the-hour:
- Lot 100 is on the east side of campus near the Lied Rec Center.
- Lot 21 is on the west side of campus, next to the Armory.
- The East Campus Parking Deck is located on Union Drive near Forker Building, or across from East and Heady Halls.
- There are also meters in several of the lots on campus. Please read the signs and time limits on the meters carefully.
Hotel Accommodations (not included in registration fee)
There are many hotels to choose from in Ames, Iowa. However, for your convenience we have a limited number of rooms reserved for the November Short Course and February Short Course participants. Please contact the Best Western Plus or the Quality Inn to make your reservation ahead of time and ask for the appropriate Short Course block to receive the discounted room rate. This discounted rate is offered for up to 30-days before each short course and has a limited number of rooms available. Check-in is at 3:00 p.m. and check-out is at 12:00 p.m. Complimentary breakfast is provided at each location.
Best Western Plus
2500 University Boulevard
Ames, IA 50010
Phone: (515) 296-2500
Driving Directions: Exit 111B off of I-35 to head westbound on Hwy 30, travel west to Exit 146 and head south on University Boulevard. The Best Western Plus is on the East side of the road.
2601 East 13th Street
Ames, IA, 50010, US
Phone: (515) 232-9260
Driving Directions: Exit 113 off of I-35, travel two blocks West. The Quality Inn is on the north side of the road.
Transportation will be provided by the STB Short Course staff from the Quality Inn and the Best Western Plus hotels to the ISU Seed Science Center before class each day and a return trip to the Quality Inn and the Best Western Plus hotels at the end of class each day. If you require additional transportation please check with your hotel front desk for availability or refer to the CyRide or Cyclone Cab information below.
Local and Campus Bus Transportation – CyRide
The city of Ames and the ISU campus have a comprehensive bus service available for a nominal fee. You can check out the CyRide schedule and service times on their website.
Taxi Service – Cyclone Cab
Ames taxi service, Cyclone Cab
Executive Express and Limousines/Ride Share offers individual and shared ride airport shuttle services.
Arriving by Air
Des Moines International Airport
5800 Fleur Drive
Des Moines, Iowa 50321